Colarion Partners is an investment management firm managing diverse portfolios, with particular expertise in the financial sector. The firm was founded in 2016 by Sam Haskell.
What we seek:
- Management sympathetic to shareholders
- A long runway for cash flow or earnings growth.
- In banks, strong internal credit cultures, and a defined deposit strategy, supported by technological investment.
- Efficiency over ego; a company culture driven by ownership rather than W2.
What we avoid:
- Wholesale balance sheets.
- Funding executives’ retirements via base compensation.
- Inefficient cultures – Spending with excessive or unstudied payback periods.
- Investing in bricks to gather deposits rather than technology with sales and service culture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most questions can be answered with a firm introduction document, which we are glad to send to those interested in learning more about what we do. Besides performance, some additional questions that we commonly get include:
Do you have account minimums? Yes – because we do not charge a carried interest and typically maintain a personal relationship with clients, it makes sense for us to maintain a threshold of $250,000 – $500,000 depending on strategy.
How do I know you would be a good fit? The most important differentiator is whether a client is willing to own, and wait for value to be realized in, less liquid securities. These may include small financials that may trade infrequently, or private placements. We frequently help investors who have managed their own account for some time, but prefer another set of eyes with expertise in a sector.
Do you only invest in banks? No, we can create broader portfolios, but those typically combine individual financial stocks with low cost funds for diversification. We no not make bets on single securities outside financials. Within financials, we invest across the sector, but typically in small companies and typically in banks, where we have a more keen sense of what is real vs what is fake.